Sheridan Community Federal CU provides quality financial services to members who share our common bond, to encourage regular savings, promote thrift, and offer loans at reasonable rates. We strive to provide the highest savings rates and the lowest loan rates feasible in our market.
In the spirit of people helping people, we recognize each individual's contribution as vital to our success. We encourage open, honest communication in an environment of respect and fairness. We assume a responsibility to share knowledge, skills and opportunities to support employee growth and development, leading to excellent member service.
On March 1, 1941, seven individuals - Rollie E. Miller, Warren Jackins, F.W. Wilhelm, Roy Kopisch, Inez W. DePue, W.L. Ahlemeyer and Fred Pramann - petitioned the Farm Credit Administration (Bureau of Federal Credit Unions; later NCUA was formed in 1934 under the Farm Credit Administration) for permission to form a credit union in Sheridan, WY, for employees of the U.S. government.
Sheridan Employees Federal Credit Union, as it was then known, received charter number 4374 on March 24, 1941. Each of the seven charter members opened the first share accounts at the credit union with one share each at a par value of $5.00. The credit union occupied various office spaces, including the laundry facility and building 5 on the grounds of Fort McKenzie the V.A. Hospital in Sheridan, until 1984 when the credit union relocated to 23 North Scott across from the post office in downtown Sheridan.
The move downtown coincided with the credit union's decision to expand the field of membership to include other SEGs (Select Employee Groups). In March 1988, the credit union merged with the SherDek Federal Credit Union, greatly expanding the growing field of membership. By 1991, the credit union had outgrown the North Scott location, and land was purchased at the corner of Burkitt and Gould streets to construct a new building, which was completed in November 1992. Six years later, the credit union petitioned and was granted a community charter from NCUA, which allowed the credit union to serve all individuals living, working and worshipping in Sheridan County Wyoming. Also in 1998, the credit union changed its name from Sheridan Employees Federal Credit Union to Sheridan Community Federal CU, a small but distinct change to better show the new community charter.
Today the credit union is still located on Gould Street, and over the last decade, it has purchased most of the land around the credit union for future expansion.
Sheridan Community Federal CU is committed to providing the products, tools and services that help our members in Sheridan, WY, and everywhere succeed financially.